KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Maintenance, Mods, & Tech Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Maintenance discussion only!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Madman Mark
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2012
Locale: ns canada
Postings: 90
Madman Mark is on a distinguished road
Default Air filter

Im a bit confused, I have a 2012 KLR and want to clean the air filter. Whats this I read about oiling it etc.... ? This is new to me ?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Monstarz

Super Cool Since: Sep 2012
Locale: United States
Postings: 338
Monstarz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air filter

If you have an aftermarket air filter, some of them need to be oiled. I could be wrong, but I don't think the stock one needs to be oiled. You can find kits at your local bike store or online pretty plentifully.
Monstarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Madman Mark
A Regular

I just have the regular stock air filter. Do I just wash it out and let it dry ?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
waterlooklr

Super Cool Since: Jul 2004
Locale: Waterloo, Il
Postings: 693
waterlooklr is on a distinguished road

When dirty (I clean mine about every 2000 miles or so depending on how dirty it looks), the filter should be cleaned properly and re-oiled.

Instructions here:

http://motocross.transworld.net/1000...ur-air-filter/
waterlooklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Foolhardy
fingers still inky

Super Cool Since: Feb 2007
Locale: Boise...ish
Postings: 573
Foolhardy is on a distinguished road

Is that not in the manual? I can't believe you have put 15,000 km's on your new bike without cleaning the air filter ten to twenty times by now. Mine gets cleaned at least every other tankful, more often if its offroad. Anyway, yes your filter needs oiled. The fine dirt particles get trapped in the sticky oil instead of just passing through the holes in the filter and getting sucked into the engine.

IAMC http://www.motoidaho.com/

"if you're on a slippery slope, may as well enjoy the ride."- PTXYZ

Last edited by Foolhardy; 02-12-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Foolhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Monstarz

Super Cool Since: Sep 2012
Locale: United States
Postings: 338
Monstarz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman Mark View Post
I just have the regular stock air filter. Do I just wash it out and let it dry ?
I like compressed air.
Monstarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Madman Mark
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolhardy View Post
Is that not in the manual? I can't believe you have put 15,000 km's on your new bike without cleaning the air filter ten to twenty times by now. Mine gets cleaned at least every other tankful, more often if its offroad. Anyway, yes your filter needs oiled. The fine dirt particles get trapped in the sticky oil instead of just passing through the holes in the filter and getting sucked into the engine.
The shop that changed my tires cleaned it twice so far ( on my third set ) but I think they just blow it out with air,didnt know anything about oil. Are you suggesting that we should clean our air filters every 750 kms ?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
kzlr
Invisible Elitist 685 Boy

Super Cool Since: Nov 2007
Locale: El Dorado Hills, CA
Postings: 3,978
kzlr is on a distinguished road

Hi Madman,

Let truth prevail:
Get yourself some solvent, spray the filter liberally (or dip it), squeeze it, wring it out, then wring it out some more.
Set it outside to dry for a couple of hours in the sun, then get yourself a little air filter oil (I use Uni cleaner (solvent) and Uni oil...don't worry, your stock filter thinks it's a Uni anyway, so there won't be any hurt feelings)...when the filter is fully dry, apply a small surface spray to the INside of the ring and a light spray to the outside of the ring and again, SQUEEZE the excess out into some shop rags (hold the lightly oiled filter in some shoprags and SQUEEZE)...repeat said SQUEEZE one more time, then re-install.
Thou shalt be "good to go" as my homies say

I was lying when I said that.

08 - "Joker"

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
kzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
waterlooklr

Super Cool Since: Jul 2004
Locale: Waterloo, Il
Postings: 693
waterlooklr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The shop that changed my tires cleaned it twice so far ( on my third set ) but I think they just blow it out with air,didnt know anything about oil. Are you suggesting that we should clean our air filters every 750 kms ?
It is very easy to check.......remove the two right side panel bolts + one air box screw----remove the air box door and take a look. I said I clean it about every 2000 miles (every oil change), but I haved cleaned/oiled as soon as 500 miles depending on the ride/dust/etc. Every oil change is also a good time to check the battery electrolyte level also.
The KLR is not maintenance intensive, BUT it does require regular maintnenance.
waterlooklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
Foolhardy
fingers still inky

Super Cool Since: Feb 2007
Locale: Boise...ish
Postings: 573
Foolhardy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are you suggesting that we should clean our air filters every 750 kms ?
I do. But I ride a fair amount of dirt. If you ride strictly street you can go longer. I think the longest I've gone on my bike was right at 1000 miles (1600 km) on a two day road trip, and conditions were very good so it didn't get extremely dirty. Sometimes I just use the bike for commuting, and I'll still spend ten minutes to clean the filter every couple of weeks.

IAMC http://www.motoidaho.com/

"if you're on a slippery slope, may as well enjoy the ride."- PTXYZ
Foolhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
mmdave
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2009
Locale: Bedford, Ohio
Postings: 131
mmdave is on a distinguished road

You'll love your KLR and it will love you more if you let it breath clean air. First get some solvent, a little bit of regular gas will work and clean your air filter and cage that you have removed from your bike, it's so easy even a caveman can do it. Then use some warm soapy water to finish and let dry. Grab some No-Toil Oil and cleaner from your local bike shop or off the Internet. Oil your air filter with the No-Toil Oil and let dry overnight then reinstall. Clean the oil filter with the biodegradable No-Toil Cleaner in your kitchen sink when it looks dirty. You have to check it on occasion. I clean mine every oil change and usually check it often when I'm doing a long dusty ride. Even cleaned it once in a hotel sink. The No-Toil oil and cleaner are biodegradable and completely safe. Best stuff out there and easiest to use and clean. You cannot use the cleaner to clean a filter not treated with the No-Toil oil and you have to use the No-Toil cleaner to clean a filter treated with the No-Toil Oil. They work as a pair. You will love this stuff after dealing with a solvent based oil.

Last edited by mmdave; 02-13-2013 at 06:55 AM.
mmdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
kawioops

Super Cool Since: Mar 2006
Locale: To hell and gone from spoonbooty!
Postings: 5,193
kawioops will become famous soon enoughkawioops will become famous soon enough

I must say I'm surprised at the number of those who don't know about oiling their air filter.
So is it really NOT in the newer manuals?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
Gruf Rude

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Locale: Cheyenne Wyoming
Postings: 1,490
Gruf Rude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdave View Post
Grab some No-Toil Oil and cleaner from your local bike shop or off the Internet. Oil your air filter with the No-Toil Oil and let dry overnight then reinstall. Clean the oil filter with the biodegradable No-Toil Cleaner in your kitchen sink when it looks dirty. You have to check it on occasion. I clean mine every oil change and usually check it often when I'm doing a long dusty ride. Even cleaned it once in a hotel sink. The No-Toil oil and cleaner are biodegradable and completely safe. Best stuff out there and easiest to use and clean. You cannot use the cleaner to clean a filter not treated with the No-Toil oil and you have to use the No-Toil cleaner to clean a filter treated with the No-Toil Oil. They work as a pair. You will love this stuff after dealing with a solvent based oil.
+2 on the NoToil! I had my wife watch me clean the KLR filter in our kitchen sink at home. She is a registered nurse and a clean freak and rightly paranoid around solvents and she was IMPRESSED with the NoToil biodegradeable, water-soluble system. This stuff REALLY works.

I have a second filter; I keep it in a zip-lock, cleaned and pre-oiled and ready to go. When the filter needs cleaning, I pull out the dirty one, put in the clean one (so the bike is ready to go immediately) and then clean, dry, oil and put that filter back in the zip-lock. When on long trips, I carry the spare.

Last edited by Gruf Rude; 02-13-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Gruf Rude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
pdwestman
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2009
Locale: Lander,WY
Postings: 902
pdwestman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzlr View Post
Hi Madman,

Let truth prevail:
Get yourself some solvent, spray the filter liberally (or dip it), squeeze it, wring it out, then wring it out some more.
Set it outside to dry for a couple of hours in the sun, then get yourself a little air filter oil (I use Uni cleaner (solvent) and Uni oil...don't worry, your stock filter thinks it's a Uni anyway, so there won't be any hurt feelings)...when the filter is fully dry, apply a small surface spray to the INside of the ring and a light spray to the outside of the ring and again, SQUEEZE the excess out into some shop rags (hold the lightly oiled filter in some shoprags and SQUEEZE)...repeat said SQUEEZE one more time, then re-install.
Thou shalt be "good to go" as my homies say
kzlr, Please don't "wring it out", by a twisting motion! Can easily tear it.
Also, We should ALWAYS, give them a soap and water wash to get ALL the dirt OUT, RINSE twice. Air dry on the car antenna or knob of the brake lever.

Gruf Rude, NO-Toil is great stuff, yes. But a word of warning to OTHERS.
IF you use No-Toil, CLEAN and re-oil AT LEAST THREE TIMES a YEAR. If it sets for 6 months to a year, YOU WILL use half a bottle of THEIR detergent to clean. Better to just throw away old foam and buy a new one.
And the NO-TOIL OIL, MUST be SHAKEN WELL before use. Every time! It seperates.
pdwestman
pdwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
R/L

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: SW Michigan
Postings: 500
R/L is on a distinguished road

Actually, Kawasaki has a link to a YouTube video on their website for cleaning air filters.

Some folks do it a little differently, but this method is pretty good.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYAGtu7FFYQ
Givi Crash Bars
Moab Shock
Moab Fork Spring
RaceTech Emulators
Sargent Low Seat
Thermo-Bob
WW 688
R/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
GoMotor

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Houston, TX
Postings: 4,727
GoMotor has a spectacular aura aboutGoMotor has a spectacular aura about

All foam air filters need oil to stop dust from passing through. Even a lawnmower.

The instructions in the owners manual for my gen-2 KLR are on page 96.

Depending on how dirty the air you ride in is, it may need cleaning at 100 or 1000 miles. Check it every few tanks of gas until you learn how fast it gets dirty. It is obvious when the dirt will restrict air flow.

Almost any old cleaning method will work and almost any oil will work. I travel long distances on dirt roads and don't carry special cleaners and special oil and tubs and shop towels for cleaning. I siphon some gas in a plastic bag like the Subway Sandwich bag that had my lunch in it and put the filter in and squeeze it clean from the outside of the bad. I wad the filter up and squeeze out the gas. I oil it with the same oil I carry for the engine. Then I wad and squeeze as much oil out as I can and install the filter. Grease is not necessary because the basket under the filter holds it tight preventing air leaks.

My 2008 is close to 95,000 miles, so my down and dirty system can't be all bad. By the way, when I buy that Subway Sandwich, I ask for a pair of their cheap plastic gloves.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
SmokinRZ
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2010
Locale: Dallas, TX
Postings: 117
SmokinRZ is on a distinguished road

+4 or whatever were up to on the no-toil. I have been using it for years on my dirtbikes and makes it so much easier and safer than cleaning with gasoline The wife loves the clean stainelss steel sink when i'm done However, the stock air filter came apart at the seams when I tried their cleaner on it. The no-toil filter was only about $20 at cycle gear. I've been riding off road for 40 years and this was the most dreaded part of maintenance on my dirtbikes and now it's so easy
SmokinRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
fonzie56

Super Cool Since: Feb 2011
Locale: Lebanon, IN
Postings: 259
fonzie56 is on a distinguished road

I wash my OEM filter in the sink with dish soap, allow it to dry, and oil it with engine oil. YMMV.

Sex is like air; it's no big deal unless you're not gettin' any!
fonzie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links